.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

A Moment Of Clarity

Thursday, January 19, 2006

A Surprising fare

Today i had to travel from Kilpauk to Thousand Lights to collect dad's car from the garage. Since I had to catch an autorickshaw, i knew that i had to shell out anything upwards of 70 bucks for the distance involved.

But to my amazement, the first auto guy who came along asked for just 40 bucks for the entire journey! I was overwhelmed by this generous offer from a person belonging to a clan which is increasingly alienising itself from the general public....the auto men! They have become synonymous with their ridiculous driving etiquette, their exorbitant fare demands, and their brash attitude towards customers who try to bargain.

I took the liberty to presume that this particular guy was either drunk or doped out! He exhibited all indications, with eyes glowing a dark red and voice coming from way down below his voicebox, with a subwoofer like bass-voice. He didnt seem very enthusiastic and was constantly looking in the other direction while speaking.

But the fare was too irresistable for me to weigh-in other factors and immediately jumped in before my sub-conscious could tell me otherwise. Once the auto started moving, my mind slowly drifted away and I got absorbed into my own thoughts.

There was something rhythmic and periodical about a sound that shook me out of my day-dream. I woke up to the realisation that the auto was making some of the worst noises that any moving machine could make! Its joints were creaking like that of an old man's and screaming at me for having placed my entire self in it, thereby increasing its pre-existing burden of carrying itself around!

And the driver didnt wanna disturb the continuum either, so he chose to always ride in a straightish direction. No swerves, no cuts, and no overtakes either!..Rather unique...

By the end of the ride, I had received a much deserved workout, something that my body had been wanting for a quite a long time now. And trust me, travelling by a rickety auto in Chennai is even better than a few hardcore laps in a pool! It juggles you in every single angle out of the possible 360 and in the process massages every single muscle, bone and tissue in the body! It would be a wonder if the organs don't switch places!

The driver gave me a broad smile after receiving the fare, without any sort of disappointment. I still wonder what it meant!

9 Comments:

  • this is the only reason., apart from pubs that I like banglore for. You go anywhere., you can demand the meter..

    By Blogger Da Rodent, at January 19, 2006 11:39 pm  

  • Hahhaa.. good experience..
    I think the driver was drunk..

    haha, maybe its just your luck that day Vikram.
    I think he must have heard,
    "Naan autokaaran autokaaran,
    Nayaamaana Rate-karan" before he picked you up.

    Effects of Thalaivar.

    By Blogger Pandhu, at January 20, 2006 6:45 am  

  • dai ..correct ah kasu keta avana kudikaran,dope case , mentally disturbed nu pattam kudukiriey ..ethu nyama ?

    By Blogger Jagan, at January 20, 2006 9:10 am  

  • wen i come across such outta mind auto guys.. i jus jump into the auto before he gets a second thought.. exploiting niceties u see :D

    ..p..

    By Blogger Priya, at January 20, 2006 5:06 pm  

  • Haha...Vik i was so disappointed to read that it ended in such a demure fashion! I was expecting such twists and turns and the final revealing of why he charged u so less...perhaps a hidden agenda to kidnap and relieve u of ur kidnays..or sumthing in that line....hahaha...too bad its not a tamil padam....if it was..who knows u would have even found a lady love by the end of the trip...lol

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 20, 2006 7:45 pm  

  • Well the battle sage between me and the auto guys in my area ... the rickshaw stand bang opposite my blg every single suto guys who regularly parks there auto there hates me and my guts to bargain the fare and walk out and if they act pricey get into another auto who agrees with the fare i dedcide right under their noses

    They hate my gut ..hehehe

    By Blogger Viewer, at January 20, 2006 8:25 pm  

  • I would anyday prefer a rickety auto than to bargain with someone. Its like some mind game for me, who wins and who loses depends on my state of mind. I guess u were i luck that u didn't have to bargain.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 20, 2006 9:41 pm  

  • @ammu: he seemed more of the roguish kind who wanted to kidnap me! ;)..But then, we should never judge a book by its cover! :)

    @js: yeah man, true..but u know what, i have recently seen bangalore auto drivers demanding fares similar to their chennai counterparts!

    @reva:hehehe...as long as they get inspired, let them even listen to death metal!

    @jagan: i have seen many honest guys before, and have appreciated them! But this guy seemed to be charging me so less through ignorance!

    By Blogger Unknown, at January 21, 2006 1:16 am  

  • @priya: Seizing the oppourtunities! That too since they are as rare as a good politician! ;)

    @bs priya: hahaha...if only life was as easy as a fantasy movie aka indian cinema!..lol...kidneys and lady loves arent particularly compatible u see! :)

    @viewer: im so damn happy that the people in my stand are much more friendly and persuasive when it comes to fares!

    @aashish: My mind never asks me to stop bargaining! :D

    By Blogger Unknown, at January 21, 2006 1:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home